Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Book Review

     I am going to review two books today that present a different theological perspective than what I hold and present on this blog.  I am not someone who only reads and studies what he agrees with.  I like to read and understand what others believe.
     Over the last couple of weeks, I finished "Convictions" written by Marcus Borg and "Making Sense of the Bible" written by Adam Hamilton.
     In "Convictions"  Borg provides the reader with a sort of theological autobiography of how he came to believe what he believes.  Marcus Borg is a very liberal Bible scholar with whom I have very little agreement.  However, this book is interesting because it lays out the way that mainline Christians arrive at their interpretation of the meaning of the message of Jesus Christ.
     In "Making Sense of the Bible" Adam Hamilton gives an easy to understand presentation of the mainline Christian understanding of the authority and inspiration of the Scripture.  Hamilton describes why he does not believe in Biblical inerrancy and why he does not believe in the literal interpretation of the creation, Adam and Eve and the story of Noah's ark.  While I do agree with Hamilton that Jesus is the interpretive framework of the Scriptures, I do not believe in too much else that is in this book.
     These two books make interesting reading to get a different perspective on Christianity.  I would only recommend reading them if you have a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of the orthodox Christian faith.

No comments: