Sunday, March 15, 2015

Thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon

     One of my friends went on a vacation this week with his family, and it got me to thinking about traveling.  He and his family went to the Ozarks, and that was one of my family's favorite places to take vacations.
     We used to go down to Branson back in the days before it became what it is today.  Back then, Branson had Silver Dollar City and about seven or eight music shows.  How different it is today.  We had a lot of fun going down there.  As a kid, I especially liked to go out on the old boat that traveled around the big lake next to Branson.
     We also liked to stop at Springfield and stay for the weekend at a nice hotel there that had many activities.  This hotel had a small golf course, three pools, tennis, racquetball and several excellent restaurants.  This was the first destination that we visited after my friend Toby came to live with me.
     Toby had so many health problems that I insisted that he not be boarded even over at the veterinarian's office.  He would come with me.
     Toby turned out to be an exceptional traveler, and he was no trouble at all.  Me, Toby and my parents traveled to many places on vacation over the years.
     Usually, would we go out to visit my Grandma who lived in Cheyenne, Wyoming at least once every summer.  On our way out to Cheyenne, we would take different routes so as not to have to see the same dull sights along I-70 in Western Kansas all the time.
     One year, we visited Colorado Springs and Rocky Mountain National Park.  That was the trip that Toby almost drowned in the Big Thompson River.  We were down by the river walking around when a trout jumped out of the water.  Toby growled at the trout, and then the crazy guy jumped in after him.  He start going down the river.
    Of course, I wasn't going to let him be swept away, so I went in there after him.  Thank God, I grabbed Toby and got a good foothold in the river right away.  My Mom helped haul us back on to dry land.
     Another great trip we took was to South Dakota.  I think that South Dakota is a beautiful state.  I enjoyed traveling all through the Badlands and the Black Hills.
     I think that the best trip we ever took as a family was to Iowa.  All of my Mom's family came from Iowa.  One year, we decided to go and visit the places where my Mom, Grandpa and Grandma grew up.
     Back in the 1840's my Great-Great Grandfather Caspar Uthoff left Prussia to come to America.  He faced persecution for his religious beliefs, so he traveled to this country for freedom.  While in St. Louis, Caspar met with others from his Swedenborgian faith who wanted to start a religious colony.  This band of people settled south of Norway, Iowa.  This is where my Grandpa was born back in 1901.
     I think that this part of Iowa is very beautiful, and I can easily understand why the Swedenborgian colony chose it.  The people of the Amana colonies would settle not far from here as well.
     The church that my Grandpa attended and the cemetery were many of the Uthoff's are buried are still there.  Toby and I walked all around the church and grounds.  In my mind's eye, I could see my Grandpa playing baseball which he loved so much in the field next to the church.
     I also enjoyed seeing where my Mom grew up in Vinton, Traer and Mason City, Iowa.  She could still find the homes where she lived as a small girl.  We also visited Garrison and Van Horne where my Grandma was from.
     The last trip the four of us took together was to St. Louis.  I wish we were all still together to take more trips.  We never went to anyplace exotic, but it was fun just to be together as a family.  I miss those days.
   


No comments: