Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Book Review

     Today I am reviewing a book about two things I love. "George the Dog, John the Artist" is a book about a cool dog and contemporary art.  It's about more than that though.
     John Dolan's life went off track in his teen years.  John became involved with drugs, and he took up commercial burglary which ended up getting him sent to prison on several different occasions.
    When John wasn't in prison, he was often homeless.  He lived a rough life, and it didn't look like this life was going to change anytime soon.  That is until a dog named George came along.
     When George came, John realized he had to straighten out his life if he wanted to keep George.  By chance, John started drawing again, and this reawakened his creative ability.
     I won't give away anymore of the book and what the whole outcome of the story is.  I will say that I think that people who like dogs, human interest stories and the contemporary art scene will enjoy this book.
     With that said, I do have to warn readers of the blog that there is a good deal of rough language in this book.  Just because there is a dog in the story, this book is not suitable for younger readers.  It is a realistic portrayal of life on the streets and drug addiction.
     This book is similar in some ways to the books written by James Bowen.  As you probably know, James Bowen found a stray cat named Bob, and James' life turned around.  I also highly recommend James Bowen's books.  Two are available in the United States, and the new one is on its way here in the fall.
      There is something that I wanted to say about both John Dolan's and James Bowen's books if you will indulge me for a moment.  Both of these men were addicted to drugs and homeless for long periods of their lives.  Neither man ever mentions receiving any help from the church in their books.  I don't know if they received or were offered help, or if they just don't mention it.  To me it is sad that these two men didn't get more help from Christian people to get them off the streets and into a better life.
      I have said here on the blog several times that I think that churches should do more to help people.  All churches should have a food pantry and some type of ministry to those who are in need.  I was very pleased to hear of one church in Dallas that just finished building its 100th home for Habitat For Humanity.  I think that this is great.
      What the books by Dolan and Bowen share is the healing and helping power of animals.  I thank the Lord for giving us our animal companions to help us in the hard times of life.

No comments: