Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Some Thoughts on the Current State of Evangelicalism

     I will be writing two posts today. Normally on Wednesdays, I have a book review. I will have that post up today. However, there is so much going on in the world, I  have to comment on it. I am sure that some of the things that I will write in this post will offend some people. The last time I posted on one of the issues that I am going to write about, half of my readers quit reading the blog. So be it.
    I do not understand the thinking of many people who call themselves Evangelicals today. I saw a poll yesterday that stated that 40 percent of the Evangelicals in Alabama would vote for Roy Moore even if the allegations against him are true. That is so horrible that I can't even fathom it. How can people say something like that? Have we lost the ability to stand for what Jesus would do? This whole business disgusts me.
     I guess that I shouldn't be surprised because over 80 percent of Evangelicals voted for the current president in spite of the allegations against him and his behavior.
     Now, something else that distresses me. Why are Evangelical Christians not speaking out for some type of gun control. In this country we keep having report after report of gun violence. The answer I heard from one pastor was for people to have more guns. That is certainly not the answer.
     I grew up in fundamentalism. Those who read this blog on a regular basis know the story. While in that system, I saw women mistreated and their opinions held in contempt. Any discussion of helping the poor or caring about the environment was held in contempt. When I tried to get my church to help the homeless, I was told we don't do that because those people brought that on themselves. I left fundamentalism.
    Now, I see within Evangelicalism a right-wing political agenda that is so far removed from the teachings of Jesus and Bible that I can't even comprehend it. Where in the Bible does it say we are supposed to take things away from the poor and not care about the environment?
     I am meeting many people who don't want to have anything to do with Christianity at all because of the way that many Evangelical Christians are acting.
     I am conservative in theology. I believe in salvation by grace through faith. I believe in the divinity of Jesus and in His substitutionary atonement. I believe in the bodily resurrection and the second coming.
     I also believe that being a Christian means that you follow the example of Jesus and the path of Jesus. Whatever you do, you ask how Jesus might respond in the same situation. I can't believe that Jesus would be responding the way many of His followers are responding in my country.
    Because of the this, I am now just going to identify myself as a follower of Jesus. Evangelicalism in its current form in my country is not something I feel comfortable being identified with.

No comments: