Wednesday, August 19, 2020

30 Days 30 Psalms -- Day 13

Psalm 46

As with some of the previous Psalms, there are two points that I want to emphasize in our study today. The first part of the Psalm states, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

As I am writing this piece, the world is in the grip of a coronavirus pandemic. In my country, over 170,000 people have died. No one knows for sure how things are going to work out. Children in some areas are starting back to school, and this is causing great anxiety for many.

In times of trouble and uncertainty, this Psalm provides great comfort. No matter what tragedy or hardship may beset us, we can take refuge in the God who created the heavens and the earth. Even if things get so bad the mountains crumble, God is with us. Ultimately, there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God. We know that to be in Christ means that we are secure forever in Him even when we die. We have nothing to fear.

I would also like us to take a look at what verse 10 has to teach us. This verse says, "Be still and know that I am God." This verse reminds me that my relationship with the Lord isn't all about me talking during times of prayer. I also need to be quiet and listen for the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart. I need to clear my mind and focus on the majestic power of God. I need to experience His peace and the light of His love. We feel His peace when we are still and wait before Him.

No comments: