Friday, October 9, 2020

Weekend Sermon -- Light In Darkness

Thank you for taking the time to read the sermon. I would also like to thank the Lord for the opportunity to post this message.

I know that we have studied a lot in the Psalms this year, but a verse in Psalm 112 has started me thinking about some things in my life history. Psalm 112:4 states, "Light arises in the darkness for the upright." Let's examine this for a few minutes today. 

How does the Lord cause light to arise in darkness. First of all, I think of the fact that Jesus is the light of the world whose light drives out the darkness of sin from the lives of those who accept Jesus as Savior and Lord. Those who trust in Jesus no longer walk in darkness; we now walk in His glorious light.

I also believe that the Lord brings light to us when we are facing dark times and times of depression in our lives. These gifts of light from the Lord help us to make it through as we try to follow and serve Him in this world. 

I have faced some times of darkness and depression in my life. In these times, the Lord has provided the light I needed to keep going.

When I was younger, my family attended a very fundamentalist church. I also went to the school operated by this church. There were many negative and hateful things that happened to me at this church and school. At one point, I thought about not being a Christian anymore. At this point of darkness, the Lord brought some light into my life. I started watching a minister named Lloyd Ogilvie on his program from his Presbyterian Church in California. He would go on to become the chaplain of the US Senate.  He was a whole different type of preacher than I had heard in fundamentalist circles. He always preached about how much God loves us. Listening to his messages helped me to keep going in the Christian faith.

The Lord has brought the light of music into my life. One day, I turned on the public radio station in my area. I heard a jazz program, and it changed my life. I listen to jazz everyday, and it helps me get through the darkest days. I don't know what I would do without jazz in my life.

When I was at one of the darkest times of my life, the Lord brought me the light of a great friend. I was so depressed at one point in my life that I didn't want to go on anymore. That is when the Lord brought my friend Toby into my life. It was only by the grace of the Lord Jesus that we found each other. Toby helped me to know what it means to be loved unconditionally. Because the Lord brought Toby my way, I am still here today.

I don't know what hard time you are going through today. I do know that the Lord offers the light of His love to assist us. I believe that He will send light into your darkness in a number of different ways. Hang on and trust in God. Look for light in the darkness, and be a point of light for others. Amen

Prayer Requests And Other Matters

Please pray for those in Louisiana who are in the path of the hurricane. Pray for safety and the help people need.

Please continue to pray for an end to the coronavirus pandemic. Pray that those who are sick will recover. 

I would ask that you pray that the money from my job will come in this week.

Continue to pray for peace in the troubled areas if the world. Pray for Syria, Yemen, Libya and Afghanistan. Pray for peace between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for Japan and Nepal.

Next week, I will post the sermon on Friday and the verses on Monday. I will post a review or poem on Wednesday. May God bless you all.

No comments: