Sunday, January 4, 2015

Thoughts On A Sunday Afternoon




     Hello, I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Sunday.  Thankfully, the weather was not bad today, so I am here at the library.  The photo above is a picture of my friend Toby looking across the back yard to see what the neighbors were up to.  It was taken on a cold day in the middle of winter much like today is in my part of the world.
     When I saw this photo yesterday, the first thing that came into my mind is that it appeared as if  Toby was looking off into the future.  That got me to thinking about what the future holds.  
     Of course, no one can know for sure what 2015 will hold.  We have our expectations and our plans, but only God knows if things will turn out the way we think they will.
     As 2015 approaches, I find myself getting ready to start a new job on the 12th.  I don't know what this will all amount to.  Right now, my hope is that I can work this job, pay off my debts and start a larger ministry.  That is the plan.  I also hope to sell my house in 2015.  
     I just remember other years that I had plans, and things didn't turn out the way I expected.  Once this happened in a very good way, and twice things went in a bad direction.  I had had a great year in 1998 and 1999 was just rolling in.  On January 2, my three year old dog named Colm was diagnosed with leukemia, and he wouldn't last through March.  Later that year, I would become very sick with several autoimmune problems.  Who knows what a year will bring.  
     A couple of years earlier while Tobe was still with me, we didn't expect him to make it too far into the new year.  But, by the grace of God, he lived a long time.  
     In February of 2010, my Mom had been gone for only four months.  My Dad and I were still upset about that, but we were trying to make some plans for the future.  We were going to go to New England in the late Spring and check on some properties we were interested in.  We were thinking about moving and getting a fresh start.  However, by the end of February, my Dad would join my Mom in Heaven.
     All we can do is try our best and hope for the best.  Each day I pray that Jesus will guide me and that He will have His will and way in my life.
     In some ways, as I have mentioned, the future is uncertain.  However, those of us who are in Christ have a certain future that cannot be taken away from us.  
     Those who are in Christ are promised several things about their futures in the Scriptures.  I would like to mention just a couple.
     Those who have turned to Jesus as Savior and Lord have been promised in Philippians 1:6 "That he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."  This means that Jesus will keep us and perform His transforming work within us until we are like Him in all ways.  Romans 8:29-30 says it this way, "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called:  and whom he called, them he also justified: and them he justified, them he also glorified."   
     No matter what, the Lord has good things in the future for those who are His.  First of all He predestined us.  Then He has called us by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Then we have been declared righteous and have received the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ.  Now we will be glorified when we see Jesus face to face.  What a great day that will be.  This is a future that those of us who are in Christ can count on.
     Also, we can count on the fact that in the future, we will be with Jesus and we will see all those who have gone on to be with Jesus.  Jesus said that He has gone to prepare a place for us, that where He is, we can be there too.  Because Jesus is the Resurrection and Life, I know that my family is in Heaven with Jesus.   One day in the future, I know for certain that I will be with Jesus and see my family again.  Why?  Because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He always kept His word and He always will.  
     This great future is not possible because of anything that I have done.  There is nothing good or special in me.  This future is only possible by the grace and mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ who loved me and gave Himself for me.  He gave Himself that whosoever will may come.
     If you want to have a sure future that no circumstances on earth can change, turn your life over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ today.
     I guess this post turned into the Weekend Sermon part II, but that's OK.  I hope that everyone has a good day, and I will post a verse tomorrow, Lord willing.







                                     

No comments: