Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Book Review, A Recommendation and Some Various Thoughts

     For today's review, I just wanted to remember a great book I first read years ago that meant a lot to me.  The book is entitled "Blind Courage" and the author is Bill Irwin.  I thought about this book again for two different reasons this past week.
     The first time the I heard the story of Bill Irwin and his guide dog Orient was when they appeared as guests on the Hour of Power with Robert Schuller.  Robert Schuller passed away this last week, and it brought back memories of many of the guests I saw on his program over the years.  Bill Irwin was one of my favorite.  I looked up Bill Irwin's website this week, and I learned that he too had passed away earlier this year.
     "Blind Courage" tells the story of how Bill Irwin and his seeing eye dog Orient walked the entire distance of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.  It is an amazing story of courage.  As Bill said in the book, "God led Orient, and Orient led me."  Dog lovers and adventure story lovers will definitely want to read this book.
     I would also like to recommend that those who read the blog go over to the Nature on PBS website when you get the chance.  They have several excellent full-length videos available that are really well done.  There are video's about elephants, tigers, leopards, wolverines, and a host of other animals available for free viewing.
     Finally, I would like to ask that those who read the blog would pray that the terrible weather that is forecast for my area would not happen today.  First of all, I don't want people to get hurt and their property damaged.  Also, on a personal note, I can't take too much more going on right now.  Today is a hard day for many many reasons. I have the day off from work today, and I am already nervous about having to go back to work tomorrow.  Please pray for me.  Thank you.
     I said finally in the last paragraph, but I do want to mention one other thing.  The series on I Peter will resume this week for the Weekend Sermon.  The readership on the blog was way down the last two weeks, so I hope that folks will return as our series in I Peter starts back up again.  I would be more than happy to respond to anyone who has question or comments about the blog.  If the messages I have posted on the blog have been of benefit to people, I would like to know that too.  Thank you to those who have read the blog these past four years.  I hope that it has done some good.

No comments: