Thursday, April 2, 2015

Praying In the Garden

     Today, we continue our Holy Week emphasis focusing on Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.  After Jesus taught His disciples and shared the Passover with them in the Upper Room, He went to pray to the Father in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Jesus left eight of His disciples at the garden entrance and took Peter, James and John with Him into the Garden to pray.  Jesus asked them to watch and wait with Him.
     Jesus went a little farther into the garden and prayed, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me:  nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt."
     Jesus then went back to the three disciples only to find them asleep.  Jesus said to Peter, "Could you not watch with me one hour?"
    The Lord then went back to prayer.  He was in such agony that He sweat drops of blood.  He would return to His followers again only to find them once more asleep.
     As I reflect on Jesus praying on this night there are a few things that impress themselves upon my mind.  First of all, I believe that the account of Jesus in the garden is one of the most vivid expressions of Jesus' humanity found in the Gospels.  In His humanity, Jesus did not want to endure the agony and humiliation of crucifixion.  In His humanity, Jesus wished to be spared from this if possible. However, Jesus was totally committed to doing the will of the Father.  Jesus said, "Not my will but thine be done."
     Jesus understands what it is to suffer and to feel alone, betrayed and abandoned.  Whenever I am going through a difficult time, I know that Jesus felt the same way that I feel.  He understands what I am going through completely, and He is there to bring comfort and the healing awareness of His presence.
      Like Jesus, my attitude should be one of complete abandonment to the will of the Lord.  Oftentimes I don't understand the path that the Lord is leading me own.  Sometimes I feel called to do what I wouldn't choose to do on my own.  However, it is my duty to follow the Lord wherever He leads.  I must do His will and not my will.
     Finally, in this account I think of Jesus' response to His disciples when He asked, "Could you not tarry one hour?"  This phrase motivates me to want to spend time in prayer and communion with Jesus.  I must make the time each day to be in His presence seeking His guidance and counsel.
     Today, there is a beautiful church built on the site where Jesus was praying.  I urge to check on the Internet for pictures of this wonderful looking church.


P.S.-- Just before I wrote today's post, I learned that Robert Schuller passed away.  I know that in later life he experienced many financial and family problems eventually going into bankruptcy.  However, at one time, he was very popular with a large television ministry.  Robert Schuller's messages helped me to make it through my periods of depression many times in my younger days.  Whenever I would listen to him preach I would come away knowing that Jesus loved me and that brighter days were ahead.  I loved listening to the Crystal Cathedral choir open each service with the words of "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee."  There were some really great guests on the program each week too.  The first time a knew about Joni Earickson Tada was on the Hour of Power.  Bill Irwin with his guide dog Orient was another great program.  The Christmas programs were really wonderful.  I want to express my condolences to the Schuller family, and thank Robert Schuller for helping me many times win over depression.

No comments: