Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Two Great Cat Books

     Today I am once again reviewing more than one book.  I have two cat books to share with you that are both excellent but for different reasons.
     The first book is called, "The Good, The Bad and the Furry:  Life With the World's Most Melancholy Cat" written by Tom Cox.  Tom lives in Norfolk, England with a cast of cats who each have their own unique personality.  In the pages of this book, the reader will meet Janet, who is actually a male cat, Ralph, the swearing Shipley, and a sad cat named The Bear.  Other cats also make an appearance.
     This book is hilarious.  I really needed a good, humorous read when I found this book.  The author is a great writer, and the stories in the book flow well.  I don't know of anyone who won't like The Bear once they read about him.  I hope with all of my heart that this cat makes it to his upcoming twentieth birthday and to many birthdays in the years to come.
    Tom Cox has written two other books about his cats called, "Under the Paw" and "Talk to the Tail."  These two books are not published in America, but I am attempting to locate them through Inter-library loan.  Cox has another book about his cats scheduled for publication this October.  I am looking forward to it.
     Now for one of the best cat books I have ever read.  "The Story of Fester Cat:  How One Remarkable Cat Changed Two Men's Lives" is a great story about love and friendship.  Author Paul Magrs and his partner Jeremy are living and working in the Levenshulme area of Manchester.  They begin to notice a bedraggled cat coming into their garden.  Eventually, they take the cat into their care, and the cat needed much care.  The cat had infected gums with only one and one-half teeth left.  His body was full of scabs, and he was in poor condition.  Over time, the cat was nursed back to health, and Paul and Jeremy named him Fester.
     "The Story of Fester" is written as if Fester is telling the story, and the narration in Fester's voice works very well.  In the the book, much of the lives of Fester, Paul, Jeremy and the relationship they have is brought to light.  The book is about sharing life together.  It's about sharing the ups and downs of relationship, career and family.  It's about the importance of the everyday things in life that should be cherished as special times.  The book is about how six years in a person's life can be a time of goodness and happiness made possible by a cat who just decided to walk in the backdoor one day.
     I recommend this book for the writing and for the story of friendship that it shares.
     Both of these books brought me a lot of joy while I was reading them.  I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I did.

P.S. -- Next week, I have a dog book that I want to review, and the week after that, I will review two dog books.  After reviewing all of these cat books recently, I don't want all of the dog people to feel that I have abandoned you.

No comments: