Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Friday

     Good Friday is the day when Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross of Calvary in order to bring salvation to a lost and dying world.  2 Corinthians 5:21 states it this way, "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
     On the cross, Jesus bore all of our sin in His body.  Matthew 27:45 says that while Jesus was on the cross, there was darkness over all of the land for a period of three hours.  At the end of that three hour period, Jesus cried out with a loud voice saying, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"  I believe that it was during this three hour period that Jesus took the sin of the world upon Himself causing Him to suffer as no other man has ever suffered.
     Good Friday is a humbling time for me.  My sin caused Jesus to sacrifice Himself in order to save me from the punishment that I so justly deserved.  Jesus loved me so much that He was willing to give His life for me.  I am thankful to the Lord Jesus for loving me and caring about me.  I am thankful to Jesus for dying for me and saving my soul from sin.
     One thing that I reflect on on Good Friday is the fact that Jesus had the power to stop everything that was happening to Him.  He could have said enough with the pain and humiliation, called on the angels of Heaven to deliver Him and been done with this sinful planet.  However, Jesus' great love for humanity and all that He had created held Him on the cross.  He endured the pain and humiliation because of His great love.
     Jesus died on the cross to save you from your sin.  He invites you to turn to Him in repentance and faith and accept Him as Savior and Lord.


P.S.-- Good Friday is a day of great memories with my Dad.  My Dad and I used to go to the community Good Friday service every year.  My Mom was working, so she didn't go, but I would be off from college and my Dad and I would go to the services.  One year in particular was very memorable.  We went to the big Presbyterian church in town with the beautiful stained glass windows.  The organ music was awesome and the choir sang "Where You There When They Crucified My Lord" which is one of my Dad's favorite songs.  The sermon was delivered by the American Baptist pastor, and it was the best Good Friday message I have ever heard.  I am thankful that because of the love of Jesus, my Dad is in Heaven today with the Lord.  Thanks be to God.

No comments: