Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Book Review and A Few Thoughts

     The book that I am reviewing today is "Tasmanian Devil: A Unique and Threatened Animal" written by David Owen and David Pemberton.  I just happened to come across this book in the library, and I'm glad that I did.  Tasmanian devils are one of my favorite animals.  They make the most crazy vocalizations. 
     In this book, the authors do an excellent job of detailing the natural history of this interesting and often misunderstood animal.  The Tasmanian devil is currently having difficulties in the wild due to a facial tumor disease that is decimating the population.  The authors detail this, and explain what is being done to help save Tasmanian devils in the wild.  If you like the Tasmanian devil, this book will provide you with a wealth of great information.


     Now, I have a couple of other things I want to write about in today's post.  Over the last couple of days, I've seen a lot of criticism in some places over people offering their thoughts and prayers to the victims of tragedies and natural disasters.  It is my belief that when most people do this, they are trying to show their support.  For those of us who are Christians, we do believe that the Lord can work in a situation when we pray.  I do not know why that the Lord does not always answer certain prayers.  I do believe that I am supposed to ask the Lord to help others.
     With that being said, that does not absolve us of our responsibility to do what we can to help others and to work for justice and peace in this world.  As James said, "Faith without works is dead."  I'm not just sit by and do nothing.  We all are supposed to do what we can to make this world a better place.

     Today is the Feast Day of St Francis of Assisi.  St. Francis gave everything that he had to the poor, and he went about sharing the love of Jesus.  St. Francis cared about and loved animals.  I will speak more about St. Francis in the sermon on Friday.

     Please continue to pray for those affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas.  Pray for those suffering from the effects of the hurricanes in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Texas and Florida.  Give to help those who are suffering as you are able.

    Please pray that my area won't get the flooding that is predicted.

     May God bless you all. Amen.

No comments: