Friday, October 27, 2017

Weekend Sermon -- Malachi -- Introduction

     Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I am so glad that you are able to stop by and read the sermon this week.  I hope that everyone is doing very well.
     This week has certainly had its ups and downs. The storminess in my area didn't amount to anything, and I am thankful to the Lord for that.  The part-time job situation is not going well at all at this point. I thought I had another opportunity, but it didn't work out either.  I would ask that you please pray that I am able to find the part-time job as soon as possible.  Everything would be alright on the financial front as well if there was a little more writing work. Writing is going well, so I can't really complain.  Please pray that these things will work out.  I pray that God's will will be done in the matter.
    Please continue to pray for those affected by the hurricanes.  I especially think of those in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.  Pray that they will receive the assistance that they need.  Also, continue to pray for those in Texas and Florida.
     Continue to pray for those in California affected by the fires.  Pray that all of the fires will be extinguished as soon as possible.
     Let us all pray for peace in this troubled world.  Syria, Iraq, South Sudan and Yemen certainly need our prayers.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us all pray for the nations of Burkina Faso and Saudi Arabia.  Pray that many will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     For most of the year, we were in a series of messages on the parables of Jesus. For the next few weeks, we will be in our new study as we go through the book of Malachi.  I will take time away from this series to do a message about Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Otherwise, we will focus on this important book and see what the Lord has to teach us.
     Malachi is the last book of the Old Testament. It was probably written around 450 BC after the people had returned to Israel from their exile in Babylon.
     There is a debate concerning who wrote Malachi.  The name Malachi in Hebrew means "My messenger" or "the Lord's messenger."  Some Bible scholars think that the author wanted to remain anonymous, so he just called himself God's messenger.  Others believe that Malachi was the given name of the prophet who wrote the book.
     I believe that there was an actual man named Malachi who wrote this book.  If you've read any of the prophetic books, none of the prophets seem too fearful about letting people know who they are.  These were individuals who were filled with the power of the Holy Spirit in order to speak a powerful message from the Lord when it was necessary.
      Malachi was a man who had a message from God.  He was unafraid to say some very hard things.  As we will see, Malachi doesn't pull any punches.  He let's people know that the Lord is not very happy with some of the things that they are doing.  However, he also gives the people a message of hope, that the Lord will make everything the way that it should be.
     Today, I want us to focus on Malachi chapter 1 verses 1-5.  Verse two states, "I have loved you, says the Lord; but you say, 'How have you loved us?'"
     After all that the Lord had done for the people of Israel , they still doubted and questioned the fact that they were loved by the Lord.
     In response, the Lord said that He loved Jacob, but hated Esau.  This doesn't mean that God had hatred for a person.  Hatred in this context means that the Lord preferred Jacob to Esau because the Lord chose Jacob to receive the blessing and to be the son through whom the promise made to Abraham continued. 
     The Lord doesn't hate any person as we think of hate.  The Lord loves everyone.  He wants all to come to repentance and spend eternity with Him in His eternal dwelling place.
     As we look at the people questioning the love of the Lord, it is really a slap in the face to the Lord.
The Lord chose the nation of Israel above all others to be the ones to keep the name of the True and Living God alive in the world.
     The Lord brought the people out of bondage in the land of Egypt.  He preserved them in the wilderness, and then He led them into a land that flowed with milk and honey.
     Even though they were a small nation, the Lord preserved them as long as they remained faithful to following in His ways.  Even when they rebelled, the Lord forgave them and restored them to the land of promise.
     Now, before we look down too much on the people in Malachi's day, we need to look at ourselves.  I know that many people often doubt the love that the Lord has for them.  I've done it myself when I've encountered problems and struggles in my life that I don't understand.  It's at these times that I have to look back at the many ways that the Lord has demonstrated His love for me.
     The Lord loved us so much that He sent His Son the Lord Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sins.  Out of love, He provided the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us and to be our comforter.
     I know that in my own life, the Lord has shown His love in many ways.  The Lord gave me two wonderful parents who showed me the importance of following the Lord Jesus in all that I set out to do.  The Lord gave me my friend Toby when I needed a friend.  The Lord Jesus has been with me in my darkest hours providing His support so that I could keep going and keep being what He wants me to be.
     Whenever you get down and think that God doesn't love you, stop and think about all of the ways that God has demonstrated His love to you in the past.
      Verse 5 of chapter 1 ends with the Lord stating that at a day in the future, everyone will declare that the Lord is great even beyond the land of Israel.
      That day is closer than it has ever been.  One day, Jesus will return to this earth in power and great glory.  Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  Jesus will rule and reign in righteousness, and His kingdom shall have no end.  Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
     I hope that you have experienced the love of the Lord Jesus in your life.  I hope that you have invited Him into your life to forgive you of your sins and to be your Savior and Lord.  If you haven't done so, I urge you to make Jesus the Lord of your life this very day.
     Next week, we will continue with our series of messages on the book of Malachi.  On Monday, I will post the verses, and there will be a review on Wednesday.  May God bless you all.  Amen.

No comments: