Friday, October 6, 2017

Weekend Sermon -- St. Francis, Animals and the Environment -- Proverbs 12:10

    Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I am glad to be posting the sermon today, and I hope that everyone is doing well.
     My week has been fairly good.  I thank the Lord that I've had writing work to do.  So far, the weather hasn't been too bad.  I would ask that you would pray that the storms tonight won't be bad.  The mole is still at work in the front yard, so please pray about that if you would. 
     I received a job offer a couple of weeks ago that I told you about.  I am supposed to start on the 16th, but it's all not finalized yet.  Please pray that this gets all straightened out.  I do thank you for your prayers.  I pray for all who may read this blog each day.
     In other areas, please continue to pray for those who were injured in the attack in Las Vegas.  This was so terrible.  Pray for an end to violence in this country.  In the major city that is about 35 miles north of where I live, there's been a record number of murders this year and the year's not over.  We need peace and safety on the streets of this nation.
     Remember to pray for those suffering in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands as well as other areas in the Caribbean.  I think that it is a said state of affairs that US citizens can't get better help in times of emergency.  This needs to be addressed.  Please remember the needs of those in Texas and Florida, too.
     There is a possible hurricane headed for the US again.  Please pray that this storm will weaken and not be bad.
     Continue to pray for peace in the world.  Pray for peace in Syria, Iraq, South Sudan and Yemen.  Wherever there is war, pray for peace.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for the nations of Gambia and Turkmenistan.  Pray that people in these nations will hear about the love of Jesus.
     October 4 was the feast day for St Francis of Assisi.  St Francis is one of my heroes of the faith.  He has truly been a great inspiration to me over the years.
     St Francis was born into a wealthy family, and he had many privileges as a young man.  When he was younger, he went to war when Assisi was battling a neighboring city.  He was captured and spent some time as a prisoner.
     One day, St Francis felt that he was being called by God to give up everything that he owned and serve the Lord.  And that is exactly what Francis did.  He followed the words of Jesus to give everything to the poor and follow Him.
     St. Francis would go on to found the Franciscan Order.  He devoted his life to helping the poor and those who were sick such as lepers.  St. Francis worked to bring peace, and he sought to share the love of Jesus with everyone.
     St. Francis even preached to the animals.  He cared for all of creation, and he is the patron saint of animals and ecology.
     I think that we can learn many lessons from St. Francis about how we as Christians are to treat animals and the environment.  Proverbs 12:10 tells us that, "The righteous care for the needs of their animals."
     I thank God for all of the animal welfare organizations that work to help animals.  There are so many dogs and cats that are abandoned and abused.  It just makes me sick.  As followers of Jesus, I think that we have an obligation to help to end the abuse of animals and work to end the decline of endangered species.
     I know from first hand experience how important a dog can be in someone's life.  I've written on the blog many times about how I believe that Jesus brought Toby into my life to be my friend.  That dog saw me through some really hard times.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't be here writing this blog today if Toby hadn't been there to help me make it through.  I thank the Lord Jesus for him every day.
     I know many examples of people who have had a dog or cat that has helped them in a difficult time.  I thank the Lord for bringing these wonderful pets into our lives. 
     Right now, the Lutheran Comfort Dogs are working with those who are grieving in Las Vegas.  Therapy dogs and cats work all over the world helping people make it through.  They truly are a blessing.
     Let each of us be thankful for the animal companions that the Lord has blessed us with.  Let us truly care for our animal companions.
     I believe that animals are important and that our dogs and cats and pets will be with us in Heaven.  Some people don't believe this.  However, I am a great admirer of John Wesley, and he certainly believed that animals go to Heaven, so I think I am in good company.  I know that I will see my friend Toby again someday.
     Now, there is another area that I would like to address.  As I said St. Francis is the patron saint of ecology.  The environment and global climate change is an important issue facing the planet right now.  Unfortunately, many in the evangelical community have denied the science behind climate change, and they are climate change deniers. I find this most unfortunate.
     The first thing that God charged humans with doing was to take care of the earth that God had created.  We weren't given permission to dominate and destroy what God had made.  We were, we are, to tend and care for what God has entrusted us with.
     This is a beautiful world that we have been allowed to live upon.  Every time that I look at programs like Nature on PBS I am in awe of the magnificence of creation. 
     This week on Nature, there was a program about elephants.  These magnificent creatures are being poached at an alarming rate because people want ivory.  What a horror.
     Christians should be at the forefront of advocating for environmental protection and wildlife conservation.  We have been charged with doing it by the Lord.
     All of us can practice energy conservation, and we can live an earth friendly lifestyle.  I am a vegetarian.  Maybe that is something you might want to think about.
     I hope that you as a Christian will look at the life of St Francis this week.  See the ways in which he followed the Lord Jesus, and then just as St Francis followed Jesus, we must follow Jesus as well.
     I hope that you will be an advocate for animals and for the environment.  Be especially kind to those animals that God has entrusted to your care.
     Next week, I will post the verses on Monday.  I will have a review on Wednesday.  Next Friday for the Weekend Sermon, I want to go through a famous prayer made by St. Francis and examine what we can learn from it.   May God bless you all.  Amen.
   

No comments: