Friday, October 20, 2017

Weekend Sermon -- What The Lord Seeks From Us -- John 4:23

     Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon.  Thank you for taking the time to read the blog this week. I hope that everyone is doing well, and I hope that all of you have had a good week.
     This has been a good week in writing.  I've had a lot of work, and I am grateful to the Lord for it.  There is a possibility that I might have a part-time job lined up, so please pray that this will work out according to the will of the Lord.
     Last week, I asked you to pray about the storms that were predicted for my area.  The storms caused a lot of wind damage.  My house did have some minor roof damage.  I had that repaired yesterday.  
     I would ask that you would please pray about a similar situation that is predicted for this week. We are supposed to have bad storms with wind again this Saturday.  Please pray that these storms will not be bad, and that my roof repair will hold up.  Thank you for your prayers.
     Please keep praying for those in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands who are suffering from the effects of the hurricane.  Pray that they will receive the aid that they need to get their lives on track. 
     Some of the fires have been brought under control in California, but there are still fires burning.  Pray that the fires will be extinguished and that people will be safe.
     They are getting quite a bit of stormy weather in Britain and Ireland.  Pray that everyone over there will be safe.  I have several online friends there, and I pray that they will all be OK.
     Continue to pray for peace in the troubled areas of this world.  Remember to continue to pray for Syria, South Sudan and Iraq.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us all pray for Kuwait and India.  Pray that many will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     This week in the sermon, I want to speak about what our purpose is in life.  We are here for a reason.  
     Sometimes, I get very down and I don't think that my life amounts to much.  Sometimes, I don't see much point to my life. 
     It is at times like these when I have to go to the Word of God and see what the Lord has to say.  I did that this week, and I was really blessed by the verse that is the basis for the message today.
     In John chapter 4, Jesus traveled to a Samaritan village, and He had a conversation with a woman at the town well.  During the course of their discussion, the woman brought up a question about what place was the correct place to worship the Lord.  In John 4:23, Jesus said the following, "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers."
     What struck me about this verse was the realization that I am here on this earth for a specific purpose.  I am here to be someone that worships the Lord in spirit and in truth. That is my mission, that is my reason for being.
      As I've looked at jobs and things to do, sometimes I've focused on that as a way to finding a meaningful life.  But, that is not what the meaning of life is about at all.  Work, career and accomplishments are just a means to help me exist in the world to do that for which I have been called and to do that which God desires.
      I've been called, all Christians have been called, to worship the True and Living God.  We are on this earth to bring honor and glory to His holy name.
     Now, of what does true worship consist?  We are to worship in spirit.  I believe that there are two ways to look at this.  First of all, we can interpret this to mean that we are to worship the Lord with all of our being.  We are to give all of our energy and effort to being those who bring glory to the Lord.
     On the other hand, we can interpret this to mean that we are to worship the Lord as we are filled with the power of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit fills us with love for the Lord that leads us to true worship.
     We are also to worship the Lord in truth.  We are to have a right understanding of who God is and what He wants from us.  Only when we have a correct understanding about God can we worship God in the fullness that He seeks.
      Now, of what does worship consist?  Of course, part of worship is going to a worship service and singing songs of praise and adoration.  We worship through partaking of the Sacraments.  We worship through hearing the proclamation of the Word.
      Worship has another component as well.  Worship is about what we do.  We worship the Lord when we follow those things that He has commanded us to do.  We honor Him as Lord when we do what He has said.
     We worship the Lord when we follow His direct will for our lives.  I believe that the Lord calls individuals to specific tasks of service.  When we do these tasks, we are worshiping the Lord.
     We also worship the Lord when we do what is good in the world to make this world a better place and help others in this life.  There are many needs in this world.  People are hurting.  The whole of creation needs help.  When we bring help to this hurting world, we are worshiping the Lord. 
     When we do our best at whatever we set ourselves to do that is right, we are worshiping the Lord.  We bring honor to His name when we strive for excellence and do what we do as if we are doing it unto Him.
      I know that when I look at life from this perspective, it keeps me going.  It lets me know that I have something to accomplish.  The Lord has me here for a reason and a purpose.  He has you here for a reason and a purpose too.
      Next week, I am going to begin a new series of messages as we study the book of Malachi.  I hope that you will join me for that series.  Next week, I will post the verses on Monday, and there will be a review on Wednesday.  May God bless you all.  Amen. 
     





     

No comments: